Snap Ships may look like a blend between Lego and Hasbro’s Transformers line, but it’s a whole new range of toys created to bring education, entertainment, and an innovative spin on the toy market.
Said to be for boys aged 8 and up, the playsets offer a new take in the build-and-play world, where you get to build different space crafts which have tons of configurations that allow you to change the craft design again and again, as all the sets and pieces are interchangeable.
This versatile building system allows you to create multiple crafts. To get you started, each set includes instructions for builds that you assemble yourself. The core of every ship build are the interlocking cubes, which easily snap together to build and rebuild.
“Snap Ships is a whole universe of excitement. It’s building blocks meets old-style battle play, but for a new generation. Created specifically for boys aged eight and up, as well as collectors, the construction toys allow for numerous configurations, as many as the imagination can muster,” says Philip Galliford, Senior Marketing Manager of Solarpop. “The animated series and app adds to the Snap Ships universe, bringing to life characters, storylines and the crafts themselves.”
The Snap Ships universe
As mentioned, there is a Snap Ships animated YouTube series to provide some context and an overarching universe for the toys. The show follows the Komplex, aliens that have been destroying species in the galaxy, and their battle with the Forge, the elite team of humans fighting against them. Both use modular ship technology to build and adapt their spacecraft.
Snap Ships Features
- Each set includes step-by-step instructions for multiple builds
- Use your imagination and build how you want and combine sets for more unique builds.
- The Forge and Komplex factions have two different colour schemes for easy battle play, but you can mix them up for out-of-this-world crafts.
- The core cubes offer a stable base for builds, and other pieces create a sleek look and add movement.
- No batteries are required. Snap Ships are full of action play completely fueled by kids and imaginations.
- Real shooting launchers in every set. Press the rear levers, and watch the projectiles fire. Launchers for the Komplex are red, while those for the Forge are green. It’s easy to tell them apart during battle so you can collect them and reload.
- Each set includes a mysterious piece of UJU tech to make your ship even more powerful!
There is also a free Android and iOS app that features easy-to-follow build instructions, with life-size digital versions of the crafts that can be viewed with AR. The app allows you to catalogue your collection and discover new builds. You can also track your collection and test-fire your ship’s weapons.
Lance Scout, Locus Interceptor, Sawfly Minelayer, Scythe Tank, Sabre Interceptor, Scarab Interceptor, Scorpion Troop Dropper, Battle Set, Gladius Dropship and Trident Gunship are currently available at the following retailers: Takealot.com, Toy Kingdom, Hamleys, C.N.A., Everyshop and Raru.
An additional wave of new products are to be released November 2021.