The key to looking good in trousers is to find the perfect fit for your build. When I advise men on trouser styles, I consider their build as a whole, not just their waist, hips and legs.
Here are a few tips to looking good in your trousers:
- Tailored trousers always look better than baggy styles, but tailored doesn’t necessarily mean tight. It just means they are tailored in all the right places. The ideal cut for you will depend on your build.
- If you have a slim build then slim leg or skinny leg styles will work well to emphasise your shape.
- If your shoulders are proportionally broader than the rest of your body and you have narrow hips and skinny legs, rather wear slim leg trousers rather than skinny trousers for balance. This will keep your legs from looking even skinnier than they are.
- If your shoulders, waist and hips tend to be a similar width, wear skinny trousers to create the illusion that your shoulders are proportionally broader to give you more shape and definition.
- If you have a generous midsection, wear straight leg trousers rather than slim or skinny to create balance. Skinny trousers will just make your midsection look wider than it is.
- For all builds: Make sure that your trousers are the correct length. When your trousers are the correct length, they hang better, giving you a slim line look.
- For comfort: When wearing slim or skinny trousers, fabrics with a bit of stretch will make them comfortable to wear.